Lallemand Health Solutions is confirmed as a leader in the microbiota-related industry, with its comprehensive expertise in microbial fermentation, from the research and development phase to the production and marketing of food supplements as well as medication.
Indeed, in this vast independent study conducted by MabDesign and funded by the Alliance Promotion Microbiote (APM), of which Lallemand Health Solutions is a member, the entire microbiota industry is highlighted, among others, drug candidates derived from the microbiota for the human drug market. In the study, Lallemand Health Solutions is identified as a contract development and manufacturing organization (CDMO), a company that serves other companies in the pharmaceutical industry on a contractual basis to provide comprehensive services, from the research phase and development in the manufacture of drugs, covering of course the fermentation step.
“In addition to possessing the necessary production licenses and certifications for our core business, which is the manufacture of dietary supplements, we have held and maintained for several decades pharma registrations as well as a pharmaceutical establishment license for our manufacturing plant. Saint-Simon located in France, confirming our ability to manufacture active pharmaceutical ingredients and biological medicines for human use based on bacterial strains according to good manufacturing practices relating to this category. This authorization license for the opening of a pharmaceutical establishment has moreover just been extended to the manufacture of experimental biological medicinal products for human use, for use in clinical studies, thus bringing Lallemand Health Solutions into the very closed circle of rare global players offering this type of production,” explains Sylvie Binda, Vice-President Research and Development at Lallemand Health Solutions.
“As we see with this study, 118 companies are now involved in research and development on microbiota-related products worldwide. When these products reach the final development stage, in order to ensure their industrial production and marketing, it will be all the more important to choose a manufacturer with historical expertise in the fermentation of living microorganisms. These new products represent real production challenges because they are often microorganisms with complex nutritional needs and marked sensitivities at certain key stages of bioproduction” adds Ms. Binda.
Some highlights of the study:
- France is in the top 3 of the most advanced countries in the microbiota and the first and only European nation in the top 5
- The United States remains the leader in the microbiota market in the world, followed by South Korea and then by France in 3rd position.
- In France, 43 drug candidates on the microbiota are under development
- Globally, 458 drug candidates are in development.
- French players focus their research and development on oncology (24%), on gastrointestinal pathologies (15%) and on infectious diseases (16%).
- Globally, companies mainly develop drug candidates for infectious diseases (24% of products are dedicated to this indication, 20% relate to gastrointestinal pathologies and 15% to oncology).
- The microbiota industry is an opportunity to make France a leader in the production of biomedicines
- The microbiota is a promising sector with more than 5 billion invested since 2010. The MabDesign study has thus identified growing interest from investors and pharmaceutical companies, which still needs to be intensified in Europe compared to the United States.
Alliance Promotion Microbiote aims to promote the French ecosystem involved in the emerging science of microbiota. Its objective is to build a resilient ecosystem positioning France as a European leader in the development, production and marketing of scientific and therapeutic innovations related to the microbiota.
To receive more information on the study: firstname.lastname@example.org
About Lallemand Health Solutions
Since its inception in 1934, Lallemand Health Solutions has been a vertically integrated probiotics manufacturer specializing in the research, development and manufacturing of probiotic formulations produced in the highest quality certified state-of-the-art facilities. Over 600 probiotic formulas are currently marketed in over 60 countries on five continents. With its own Research & Development Center, the Rosell® Institute for Microbiome and Probiotics, Lallemand Health Solutions demonstrates a real scientific commitment. In collaboration with its partners and scientific experts, the Institut Rosell® relentlessly studies the human microbiome to see how probiotic supplements can be used as a means of improving or maintaining the health of specific populations or health segments, including gut health, immune health, mental health, women’s health, skin health, oral health, sports and metabolic health. Lallemand Health Solutions probiotic strains have been documented in over 350 publications including 160 clinical studies.
Marilou Luneau, Content Manager, Lallemand Health Solutions, email@example.com