A First-Class Probiotic Strain for Gut Health Benefits
The probiotic strain Bifidobacterium lactis Lafti® B94 has been specifically documented in the area of gut health. It benefits from a strong body of clinical evidence, supported by in vitro and in vivo documentation of its modes of action.
A converging body of clinical evidence: Digestive comfort
Gut transit in all population groups (infants from birth, children, adolescents, adults):
- Bifidobacterium animalis ssp lactis has shown to significantly decrease occasional constipation in adults and children/adolescents as well as other GI health benefits [Larsen et al. 2006; Favretto et al. 2013;Pitkälä 2007]. These studies showed that there were increases in stool frequency and decreases in stool consistency, improvement in normal defecation parameters and frequency compared to placebo. B. lactis LAFTI® B94 significantly improves bloating, belching–abdominal fullness and occasional constipation in children and teens [Basturk, 2016] and helps in occasional diarrhea in infants and children [Erdogan, 2012; Islek, 2014]
For other use than food/dietary supplements, based on emerging science
Based on two clinical studies in premature infants at risk for Necrotizing Enterocolitis (NEC) [Dilli, 2013; Dilli, 2015] B. lactis Lafti® B94 is safe for babies as it has a GRAS status in the US for use in infant milk formulas. It has also been granted health claims in Canada from birth.
Supportive mechanisms of action
B. lactis Lafti® B94 has been selected and fully documented for its probiotic features in in vitro and in vivo testing:
- Survival through the digestive tract [Crittenden, 2001 ; Su, 2005].
- Competition with other microorganisms: H. pylori, S. typhimurium, L. monocytogenes [Zhang, 2008; Crittenden, 2005; Mahoney, 2003].
- Support of natural defenses [Peran, 2007 ; Pang, 2005].
- Synergy with prebiotics: B. lactis Lafti® B94 has been selected among 40 Bifidobacterium isolates for its good synergy with a selection of probiotics among which inulin, FOS and GOS [Crittenden, 2001; Su, 2007].
Beyond gut health
B. lactis Lafti® B94 demonstrated its ability to activate bile acids metabolism in a clinical study involving 103 healthy overweight adults [Culpepper, 2019]